I'm here.
nus
[ Thursday, April 07, 2005 ]
10:34 PM
Dilemma
I never expected that my enthusiasm in ODAC would be shaken in a mere 5 mins.
It all started when...
I was in the lecture theatre for a PeeDoubleYou briefing. Just when I found myself a place at the back, my ex-econs teacher(during 1st intake), Mr Tan Toh Hwee, approached me and told me to see him later.
Guess what I did.
I started to recall what I did during his lessons...haha. I was thinking whether I did something wrong, or I missed out on something important. I began to worry so much(cos he sounded quite serious) that for a while I was totally hearing but not listening to the lecture.
Actually Mr Tan is not those strict teacher...he is very enthusiastic in his teaching, which reminds me of Mr E.Wong. I remember once when Mr Philip Tan was calling for him with a microphone in the hall, Mr Tanth began jumping amidst the crowd with a broad smile. Very active and friendly teacher.
Reassuring myself that nothing might be wrong, I then focused on the lecture.
I actually gave him a scare later cos I found him and stood behind him while he was talking to someone from his CG. After he finished talking he looked in the direction I had sat down just now...and then I realised he was looking for me.
"Mr Tan!" =P
He had a short talk with me as I updated him on my current JC life, and then we sat down at the study corner near the library.
Soon enough, he revealed his intention - to nominate me as a student councillor.
I wanted to laugh, but I held back cos he was, well, serious! =X
He said he believes that I have the aptitude for the responsibility. He also said that I fufilled the two main criteria for the nomination : attitude and study capability.
On the surface of it, I do have a good attitude cos I am always present for lectures and tutorials, and I always completed the homework given to me, according to his observation.
But the truth is that - I have no guts to pon lectures and such - not that I don't want to pon - and usually I had alot of free periods, so I used the time to do homework loh.
Again on the surface, I have good study capability cos I appeared on the 'honours list' for 2 common tests and I can help others. And the truth? Im good in nothing but Econs...just simply cos I have the interest in the subject and I'm willing to dedicate more time for the subject.
Yet, he was so persuasive that I was hesitant to tell him my side of the story.
Here comes the selling part : he told me that being a student councillor can...
"lets say...touch wood touch wood...you didn't do well for your 'A' levels, you can still apply for conditional(?) admission into Uni and being a SC will help you greatly in your interviews"
"make your testimonial look good"
...and of cos the usual values like leadership which he didn't elaborate on.
You know why its so appealing to a person like me? The part about getting into Uni. But I am also clear that just being a small student councillor will not help much cos there will be competition - as in there will be other ppl who failed their 'A' levels but are superman or heroes in their CCAs.
AND THEN I ASKED THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION : IF I AM IN ODAC ALREADY THEN HOW AH?He suggested that I only take one CCA. The reason is obvious, especially when there is PeeDoubleYou.
Immediately I knew -
"Hohoho...zheng wen. what u gonna do now?"
I told him I needed some time. I will give him an answer next Monday.
Before he left, he added that he was supposed to nominate someone from his current CG, but he chose me instead cos he believes that I am the one for the post. His faith in me is like this : it adds on to the attractiveness of the SC which made it 'weigh' the same as ODAC. In other words, it just made the decision tougher.
Nobody would have guessed that there will be one point in life when I actually even gave 'quitting ODAC' a thought. Me too.
Wee Miang(ex-classmate during 1st intake) later told me that the president of the SC have two CCAs, the other being Soccer.
I was reminded of this when my mother gave me the book "Harry Potter - and the order of the phoenix" she had bought in Borders. It only costs $7.95, by the way. It's usual price was $41.95. Anyway...choices are to be made - between this(read the book) and that(play computer) and time. Of course, if you want to do this and you want to do that, you are going to have no time.
No matter what, Im really honoured by the offer simply becos less than 40 ppl will be nominated by the teachers, among 900+... ...Sometimes I am really guilty that I played my Secondary school life away...and I tink its time to be more serious in my attitude towards study. So its a good chance for me to be motivated in JC life...and take charge of it.
I will ask Mr Tan tomorrow about more details so I can make a more informed choice. Tis kind of opportunity only knock once sia.