I'm here.
nus
[ Thursday, October 06, 2005 ]
10:24 PM
Small Change
I only took 5mins to complete my final EoM.
=>
There weren't much to do to the first draft anyway.
All that was written was...
1. No heading
2. Footnote to be type-written(i hand-written it cos there was something wrong with the printer anyway)
3. To give more emphasis to evaluation of ideas/generation of ideas
4. Margin to be justified
Hahah. Easy.
Well regarding the big picture, ie the whole Project Work itself, i do have my own reservations.
Firstly, our grp project is on making an Artificial Womb.
I brought up to my grp not long ago that we simply do not have enough knowledge...cos we are juz students.
It did not incur to then that it would be so complicated.
The part on the substitution of parts for womb were too tough to handle. Becos as I say so many times...we can't even decipher what those medical articles were talking about...our initial idea of the substitution for the umbilical cord was a rubber tubing...
That was the toughest time in my PW...I got quite frustrated cos I felt that this project wasn't going anywhere...cos its too advanced...and we dun take Bio...I think even Uni student also cannot...
I brought this up to the grp too...
But we had to press on. I suggested that we score more pts in the generation of ideas...and also we try to emphasise certain parts...and less on those technical areas where we really cmi...
But that day I went to the public lecture in the NUS...
That researcher told us the 'golden rules' for doing research...
Is "do not re-invent the wheel" or to make full use of the current technology...and this itself was devastation.
Becos if, in the process of making of a womb, we were to make use of current technology, then 1 .[wads the point of coming up with substitutions]...? Because there is a lot of ongoing research on the articial womb liao. Japanese researchers managed to keep the foetus of a sheep in an articial womb alive for weeks. Etc. But we can't use their idea - it would be plagerism.
One thing is for sure : 2. [our substitutions won't work]. That's a fact that I wanted the grp members to accept back then, during an online conversation. Cos its really far beyond the reach of our current knowledge. Really very very far away. We are juz JC students.
With the 2 combined, there was a period where I really gave it serious thought...and I totally lost faith in PW. Why are we coming up with substituitions? When there are already advances in the technology...when it wun work! Lets hope we do get credit for coming up with ideas anyway.
I remember I felt rather down for that week, but that was after we finished the 2nd draft.
There were two seperate days in which we started our online conversation from 11pm till 4am juz to do that substituition part...
I wun expect much for Project Work le.
If project work is meant to let us learn how to do grp work...how to do presentation...etc. that I guess that's about it.
Now the whole thing is nearly over, once again I ask myself what have I learnt...
I'd never forget a life lesson in decision making. I'd never spent 3 hrs to decide on a decision that will affect me for 1 year. I'd spent 3 days.