I'm here.
nus
[ Wednesday, December 19, 2007 ]
10:10 PM
19 dec 07
Life changed for the better since the 13th mono enlisted.
They came in with long and dyed hair, and tattoos of dragons and tigers and goddesses on their arms and backs. 14th Dec was the day and from then, we'll train them from recruits to infantry men, and unlike Tekong which takes in the more educated ones and then post them out to other vocations.
I remember it was the 3rd day i was quite traumatised(?). By my own buddies, actually. Suddenly that mad man shouting and punishing the whole lot of recruits were the same ppl i used to joke and spent tough times with. When the recruits got up on their feets, 1 of my men suddenly puked, followed by 6 others. Gosh. It shouldn't have happened. I feel for them.
Perhaps it was that incident that made me become very patient with them. Simple things like teaching my own platoon how to do drills. It was immensely satisfying when their steps synchronised. And when they could wheel properly. I believe they were interested to learn they kept asking questions and wanted me to teach them despite given water and toilet breaks. It made me feel so proud of myself.
But at the same time, my friends never got any patient with them. I could say that they resembled my platoon sgts when i was in BMT.
My men have many problems. In an interview form, many of them checked the YES box in reply to questions like "Does your family quarrel often?" , "Do you or your family have serious financial problems?" , "Have you taken drugs?". Many a few refused to give the names of their parents as their next of kin despite what was required. Instead they gave the names of their aunts, siblings, or grandparents, because they said they've never talked to their parents. Or they hate them.
Some of them don't have handphones.
Almost all of them smoke.
But i feel that they are very sincere and honest on many instances.
I've yet to really know them well actually. But i know they're still ill-disciplined. There's only one way to learn it - the hard way - and i hope im not going to be the one doing it.