I'm here.
nus
[ Monday, May 12, 2008 ]
1:28 AM
Rise to the occasion
1SIR Bravo company. Representing the Army in this year's NDP.When our OC(officer commanding of the company) broke the news to us, everyone had mixed feelings. I had my own reservations.
Being part of a contingent in the NDP? Wow. Kinda sounds like something you'll only get to do once in a lifetime. I've been watching every year's NDP from home for as long as i could remember. And now im set to watch it 'live' from the NDP itself.
Well the downside is that NDP rehearsals are held on Saturdays. Some of the men weren't pleased at all cos they had planned to go out with their girlfriends on friday night or on that saturday.
I believe if there's no pride in ourselves at all, then we'd start taking it negatively. We could see it like a giant arrow from 'on top' shot straight at us to burn our saturdays.
When our CO(commanding officer of the battalion) came down to talk to us - and tell us that we were chosen cos we're the best - some of the men actually gave comments like "Aiya we train so hard... do thing do till got standard...in the end so what... also can't book out?"
On top of it all, our training will not be reduced. We'd still have all the full field camps as per normal, and NDP rehearsal every saturday.
We rehearsed for 6+ hrs last saturday.
Ah, of course we're not going to be the Guard of Honour. Not the smart looking men in the white uniforms. We're wearing green. And with helmets instead of berets. Last year i was still thinking it ridiculous to wear helmets to a parade - i believe its karma.
I guess im in for some really rough times now...my weekends sia. 9th Aug. How far is that?